At Work

Injured At Work? Here’s What To Do Next

If you have a job that requires a lot of physical activity, there is a good chance that you could get injured on the job. Even an office job is not completely free of hazards.

When you experience a work-related injury, it is helpful to know what actions you should take, to get the medical attention you need. It is also important to know how to get your employer to pay for those injuries.

Seek Medical Attention

Some injuries don’t require anything more than the use of a first aid kit. If your injuries exceed a small cut or bruise, you should definitely go to the hospital or a doctor’s office.

You should find a doctor who is authorized to treat you by the Workers Compensation Board unless you are actually taken to the emergency room.

Some employers use a Prefered Provider Organization for workers’ compensation issues. If your employer does this, then you will have to go to a provider that is in their network.

Other companies may belong to an Alternative Dispute Resolution program. Your employer should have told you if they belong to a PPO or ADR when they hired you. The information will normally be in a person’s hiring paperwork.

You are likely to get a prescription for pain medication when you are injured at work. An employer may also require you to get the medication from a pharmacy in your network.

Make Sure Your Employer is Aware of Your Injuries

If you were injured at work, there is a good chance you were not alone when it happened and your boss probably already knows about it.

However, you should notify your supervisor of your injuries in writing. An employer can deny your claim if you do not notify them of the injury within 30 days. You should notify your immediate supervisor as well as the HR department.

Fill Out Your Paperwork

When you are injured, you will be expected to fill out paperwork detailing the way in which you were injured at work and the kind of injuries you sustained.

You will fill out an Employee Claim Form and mail it to your local Worker’s Compensation office. The amount of time you have to file varies from state to state but it is normally one to three years.

There are several different types of injuries a person may claim on the job. There are injuries that can come from having an unsafe working area such as slip and fall accidence, electrocution, and falling objects.

Some injuries may be due to faulty equipment or a lack of proper training such as a machine accident or a transportation accident.

Other accidents might be due to mismanagement of personnel such as physical violence at work or overworking employees by requiring them to work overtime.

When You Need a Lawyer

If your employer tries to deny your claim, you may need to find a personal injury attorney. can help you find an experienced attorney in your area who will work diligently to get you the money you deserve.

You work hard for your employer. When you are injured on the job, you should get the very best medical attention possible.

Authoritative Sources:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *