According to research, the global E-commerce business sales online accounted for approximately $2.3 trillion US dollars. It is surprising that this includes only B2C sales. B2B wholesale market shows an even mind-blowing growth which has been doubling each year since 2003. E-commerce business global retail sales are expected to exceed $2.8 trillion in 2018, according to research provided by Statista.
There are a number of E-commerce business trends to be taken into consideration to be successful. Even silliest mistakes might cost really high especially during the early stages. Don’t worry. Here are a few trends which you can follow in order to be a successful E-commerce business owner in 2018.
Let us consider a few trends from 2016-2017 which are relevant even today as the core of a marketer’s toolkit. Also, let us look at certain trends to be followed in 2018 which can make the business successful.
The main goal of any E-commerce business website is to make the customers fall in love with your online store. Customer experience is the main factor responsible to drive traffic. For this, it is important that you have attractive homepages, product pages, checkout pages and many more, with a little personalization. Provide an extraordinary customer experience such that visitors get converted to buyers.
Personalizing a site experience for the customer includes the usage of various customer data points like the history of search and purchase, their demography, their social behavior and recommendation of products accordingly. Localization is a type of personalization, where the IP address of the customer alters the site content to provide more of contextual merchandising and content.
Lead Generation and Conversion through Customer Engagement
Build a community with the help of a CRM. Customer relationship management software includes collections of customer information in order to improve customer engagement. For E-commerce business brands, this may be achieved through Chat, E-mail, SMS, Facebook Messenger, Customer groups, Loyalty programs, Order statuses, Referral programs and many more. Follow these points for effective customer engagement.
- The effectiveness of communication with the customer, to solve their issue and direct them to the respective cart affects customer engagement and conversion.
- CRM tools come to your rescue. Collect customer information and keep in touch with them regularly.
- Sending automated and personalized E-mails help in driving more traffic.
- Setting up loyalty programs and reward points will drive customers to your website on a larger scale. Especially when you tell the customers that they would be saving more with the online purchase than at the store encourages even the visitors to get converted to buyers.
- Use customer testimonials to drive more sales.
The latest trend for E-commerce business brands is to drive organic traffic through Content Marketing. A good SEO content can attract a large customer traffic than any other marketing strategy.
- The goal of an E-commerce brand is to appear first as soon as the keyword is typed on Google. E-commerce brands get rankings based on the long-tail and short-tail keywords. Long-tail keywords are more specific. Hence, E-commerce brands prefer to use long-tail keywords.
- Develop the content strategy to drive your E-commerce traffic three times higher. This strategy is to ensure that the products and the contents on the site become visible, such that it ends in a sale.
- Turn your product pages into optimized high-converting landing pages. This not only increases the traffic, it is also a huge opportunity to increase sales.
- Master Amazon SEO- Amazon has a Search Engine called A9. By mastering this, you can rank well there also.
- Build a B2B SEO strategy now. Online B2B sales are growing and building a B2B SEO strategy can help you beat out your competition and win in the long run.
Content marketing has become harder to rank than ever before since there is more competition between brands, landing pages, and YouTube videos. Hence, invest in creating a content that is maximized for search as well as has maximized shareability on social media.
Perfect Mobile optimization these days is not limited to having a site that is responsive. A mobile optimized site should also include mobile optimized search, product videos, and digital wallets. Digital Wallets play a major role in Mobile commerce. These wallets make buying on-the-go easier by facilitating one-click purchases. Some examples include PayPal One-Touch, Apple Pay, Amazon Pay, Visa Checkout etc.
- Mobile Commerce is found to account for more than 31% of total sales according to a research.
- Apple Pay users have been found not only to check out more on their iOS, but they have also been known to spend more.
- Offering cash back if digital wallets are used is one more trend that is driving traffic to the E-commerce sites currently.
Social Media Marketing
These days posting Ad-campaigns on Social media like Facebook, Instagram, etc. The Pillars of Social Media Marketing include the following 3 things:
- Consumer Engagement: Upload your business catalog on Social media. Dynamic product ads can retarget site visitors based on what they viewed. It works best, especially when customer testimonials and videos are used to earn visibility.
- User-generated content: Using this user-generated content on social media provides a more authentic experience in consumer engagement.
- Influencer marketing: Leverage micro-influencers in an authentic way to expose your content to new consumers. In fact, influencer marketing is one of the most effective strategies for the growth of E-commerce brands. Consumers trust other people’s opinions over any other available information. This doesn’t involve a huge investment; it also increases the sales more than 100%. The most commonly used influencer marketing strategies include Content featuring products or services, service and product reviews, Promotion of Giveaway Contests, offer customer URLs for free access, offer discounts to drive conversions etc.
Though Omni-channel sounds like an industry buzzword, it cannot be ignored by any brands, especially during their growing stages. It just means that most brands sell more than in one place, eg. Amazon, Alibaba, Wholesale etc. Couponobox.com is one of those examples. This e-commerce business offers discounts codes and coupons on anything you purchase online from any store in the US. It is associated with a lot of stores and brands, thus promoting and driving traffic for all of them. Thus, this is one of the channels through which various brands manage their inventory, branding and customer experience. This highly drives sales for most of the E-commerce brands.
There are various other trends which include:
- E-mail marketing,
- Usage of E-commerce business tools, apps, and technologies for E-commerce brands,
- Conversion rate optimisation can only be done through data-driven optimization and decision making. There are various CRO tools which help in testing various designs, designs, language, etc. to find which of them increase sales versus others. Updates should be launched site wise to see a major shift.
There are much more on the list. The above-listed trends are the major ones to be a successful E-commerce business owner for 2018. Even before starting off any new trend in 2018, analyze and judge what has worked in the previous years. Based on those, see where you can improvise on those trends and also inculcate new trends which might help you grow even higher in 2018. Be an exorbitant Business owner in 2018. Happy New Year!!
Will is the Executive Managing Editor at Feedster. Will and his team from Content HOW work with venture capital, marketing co-ops, and companies to attract and gain qualified leads.
His primary focus on developing a sales funnel for a company and finding out of the box / growth hacking style ways to convert and drive traffic.