Few businesses owners can afford to splurge on anything, let alone their offices. After all, we live in an era of cutthroat competition where businesses often have very little wiggle room in their budgets.
But what if you aren’t strapped for cash? What if you have a nice nest egg saved up, business is booming and you’re starting to feel a bit stale in your current space?
Although rethinking your office environment may seem like a low-priority task, consider the benefits of stepping up your office’s sense of sophistication such as…
- Defining that you’ve “made it” as a business owner: that is, you’re no longer struggling and desire a space you can truly be proud of
- Feeling more comfortable: if you’re not happy in your current office, you’re much less inclined to be productive in it
- Making a statement: your guests and employees alike will note that you’re looking to stand out from the crowd and may very well respect you more as a result.
So, where do you start when it comes to giving your office a more sophisticated vibe?
Rethink Your Furniture
There’s perhaps no better way to signal sophistication than by bringing in new furniture. For example, elegant pieces of chestnut furniture will last forever and make an instant impression on those who step into your space. Not only will high-quality furniture make you feel more at home, but also represent an investment in your office for the long-term.
Emphasize Your Seating
Speaking of furniture, you need to make sure that you have plenty of space for your visitors to take a seat next time they enter your domain. Whether you go for upholstered seating or ergonomic office chairs, the more chairs you have will ultimately signal a more inviting office.
Beyond the aesthetics of a well-furnished room, the health benefits of comfortable seating are also an added bonus when you’re willing to splash some extra cash on chairs.
Again, everything in your office should make a statement. Cheesy motivational posters aren’t going to cut it if you’re striving for a classier space. For example, consider stylish decorations such as…
- Art prints: make sure to invest in solid frames which don’t appear flimsy or cheap
- Rustic pieces such as wooden accents or metallic décor
- Lavish lighting, including soft lamps which brighten the mood in your space
- A mini-library that shows off your knowledge and gives your space a more “classic” feel
Any combination of these elements will immediately make your office feel more put-together and classy.
Dare to Declutter
Finally, a sophisticated office is a clean office.
Do everything in your power to declutter your space and keep it free of “all the above” storage which needlessly ends up in your office. Strive to keep your desk clear and stick to a filing system to keep it tidy. Also, consider investments such as cord covers to ensure that your office doesn’t look like a mess of wires whenever somebody comes in to check on you.
While a more sophisticated office may not seem like a “must-have,” the fact remains that there are certainly benefits to a classier work environment. Even if you can’t make all of these investments at once, perhaps stepping up your office space can be a long-term goal as you continue to grow your business.