In digital photos, watermarks are used which are a kind of semi-transparent tags used for identifying the copyright owner of the image. Sometimes removing a watermark from an image is necessary for restoring the picture or image back into the original form.
It can be even more helpful in instances such as loss of the actual image and you have only the copy with watermark.
The question is, how to remove a watermark in that case? Usually, the easiest option is to use some picture editor for painting the watermark pixel-by-pixel, which can bore you to death. It seems like such a tedious task.
There are some easy ways to remove a watermark, but the critical goal here is removing the watermark without letting it affect the level of quality of the image and do it in the best way possible. There are also some free ways to remove a watermark from an image online.
Let’s have a look at this article to find out ways and tools to remove a watermark. I’ll also tell the pros and cons of the watermark removing tools available.
How to Remove the Watermark from a Photo
Use of the Original Application for Deleting the Watermark
If your image with watermark had been created using an application like PowerPoint, Paint 3D or Microsoft Word, you could use the same app for removing the watermark.
Removing a watermark needs some specific steps, and those steps depend on the way that the image was created. Following are some simplest steps for removing the watermark from the photo or image.
- First, open the application which you initially used for creating the photo with a watermark.
- Then, open that file which has the photo with watermark.
- Now, find that watermarked photo from the folder.
- Select the image or text in the watermark and press Delete.
- Then, right-click the image and select the option of “Save as picture”. Now, name the image while choosing the format of the file and press Save.
Cropping the picture for removing the watermark
If your watermark is close to the corner of the image, you can also crop the image in for removing it. After cropping the image, a segment of the picture is removed, and your picture looks smaller than before.
You can look for the Crop tool in your picture editing application like GIMP or Adobe Photoshop or productivity software like PowerPoint and Microsoft Word.
Here is the step by step process for cropping an image for removing the watermark
- Open your image which has a watermark on it through the photo editor app.
- Now, select the given Crop tool.
- Then drag the cropping handles for selecting the portion of the photo you need to have.
- Now press done or save button to submit your changes.
Editing the Image Using Image Editor App
In case you are not able to remove that watermark from the methods as mentioned above, you can utilize an image editing software like GIMP, Pixlr, Photoshop and more. There is also a Clone Stamp tool in such applications for covering up a watermark with a section of the image.
SoftOrbit’s Photo Stamp Remover
I would rank it the best Watermark Remover online.
The photo stamp removes watermarks from the photos. It also removes logos, date stamps and others.
Here are the steps for removing watermark with Photo Stamp
Step 1: Choose the “Add File” option or drag your photos and drop them.
Step 2: Click the pencil icon from the toolbox available on the right side.
Step 3: Now, in your photo, use a brush on the areas that need to be removed. It would be highlighted in red color.
Step 4: Select “Remove”.
● It works well.
● It is effortless in using and has some decent features.
● It is a little expensive as it costs around $69.99.
● It does not allow you to save images in the trial version.
- Removing the watermark with Inpaint
I would say that this is the second-best app or software for watermark removal.
Here are the steps.
Step 1: Open your watermarked image in Inpaint
Step 2: Select the watermark portion of the image using a marker tool.
On the toolbar, switch to the Marker tool and choose the area with the watermark. You have the option to adjust the perfect size in the marker for a good selection. It is also possible to apply the Magic Wand, which is a tool for selecting the watermark area in a single click. It works the best with logos or single-colored solid watermarks.
Step 3: Running the process of restoration
In the final step, run the process of restoration by clicking on the “Erase” button. The app will process your picture and get rid of the watermarked area from it.
- It is straightforward in usage. It is fast and effective for removing small and large unwanted objects.
- It is one of the best watermark removing apps available, but it does not operate as we expect in the case of medium or complex watermarks.
- The cost of Inpaint is $19.99 for the lifetime that seems reasonable keeping in mind its functions.
- You cannot save the image with removed watermark in the trial version; therefore, you will have to purchase it.
- There is also an Online version available which is the best online watermark remover, but it is not that best online as the desktop version.
- Remove your watermark with Pixlr for free
Pixlr is free software, but it is very problematic, removing watermark with pixlr. The reason is that in Pixlr, you need to find out the source at every point (every region, bunch or area of pixels) that is almost impossible and it also requires too much of your time.
It has a sharp learning curve; therefore, I will not recommend this app as such.
- It’s free.
- It isn’t straightforward and time taking.
- It is not best suited.
So, removing a watermark from an image is not as difficult as you thought it to be. Simple online watermark removal tools are available online. My top recommendation for removing a watermark is using the Inpaint app.