5 Important Benefits of Using Self-Storage Units

With its importance often downplayed, storage is a core necessity for an organized life. A rapidly industrialized world coupled with astronomical technological advancements means we have to contend with increasingly lesser space on one hand and higher accessibility to items on the other hand.

Keeping our living and work spaces tidy and neatly organized amid a pile of belongings is almost a dilemma and self-storage solutions provide a way out of this quagmire.

Be it freeing up office space of unused items or to provide temporary shelter after having moved to a smaller apartment, whatever the circumstance of life, self-storage units avail you a temporary avenue to keep your possessions till you’re able to find a more suitable place or till further use.

Aside this obvious benefit of storing unused items till when they are needed, here are five other important benefits of self-storage units:

Facilitates ease

For people with time-restricted commitments, self-storage units are a convenient way of keeping items and belongings. Universities and colleges are filled with students from distant cities – or a different country altogether – who have to return home at the end of every session due to holidays.

For example, if you school in Chicago but live in Houston, it is advisable to use Chicago storage units instead of travelling all the way to Houston with your baggage during the inter-semester breaks. Self-storage facilities are convenient options for keeping items till the next academic session. You can locate cheap online.

Organizational efficiency

For businesses, a major prerequisite for organizational success is efficiency and optimal planning. One of these is a proper storage facility. Good storage facilities are needed for keeping stationeries, important files and documents which are necessary for day to day business operations.

However, a lot of these items may not be needed for immediate use thereby filling up valuable work space. Self-storage units can be useful for keeping office items till they are needed thereby maximizing work space.

Time management

According to a world report, the average American spends one year of his life looking for lost or misplaced items and the average office employee spends 1.5 hours a day (6 weeks per year) looking for things. As humans, we tend to keep unnecessary and useful items in a cluttered manner, which keeps us searching and prodding over and over.

This eats deeply into our useful and productive time. Availing ourselves the use of self-storage units can make us time-efficient and more productive both in our personal and business lives.

Cost effectiveness

The American society is indeed a very large one and moving possessions from one end to another could be costly. This could be a nightmare for those with temporary job assignments.

A lot of people resort to vending off items and replacing them when they get to their new destination which further increases costs. Self-storage units are viable and cost-effective alternatives as there are quite a range of self-storage solutions in and around major US cities.

Risk reduction

Storage systems are helpful in keeping your items in a neat and systematic manner. Self-storage units reduce the risk associated with moving goods and items frequently.  Delicate items are not subjected to the risk of being damaged and are protected from wear and tear.

Also, chances are high that you would lose some items in transit if you move with possessions too often. This can be reduced by keeping belongings in storage units until when needed.

25 Comments

• Tyler Meredith

June 7, 2017 - 6:45 pm

I like that you talk about the organization benefits of having a storage unit. It makes sense that it could help both consumer and commercial organization in terms of being a reliable, safe, organized storage option. I’ll have to remember this because having a safe place to put things like old documents and art could be helpful to ensure I don’t have issues when trying to keep everything organized when I move.

• Cameron Bennett

October 2, 2017 - 10:07 am

I like that you mentioned that it can take so long to find things if you struggle with clutter. I just moved into a new home that is quite a bit smaller than my old home. There are some documents and other items that I want to keep safe, but I don’t have the room now to store them at my house and I don’t want to have clutter. I think using self-storage might be the best way to go in this situation.

• Aabsolute Self Storage

October 11, 2017 - 3:43 pm

this is a really great and thought out article, especially the part about keeping your items at home in storage if you leave to go to another city for schooling! thanks for this.

• Amanda Drew

December 13, 2017 - 2:17 pm

You make a good point that a storage unit would help a business by providing a space that they can keep important documents, files, and stationeries. Another thing that could be kept in them is seasonal decorations and extra chairs, tables, or tablecloths. It seems like a good idea for any company to get a storage unit for themselves.

• Tiffany Locke

January 12, 2018 - 11:57 pm

I appreciate that you talk about how self-storage units allow you to conveniently keep your items and belongings in a safe place. This would be a great way to prevent you from having too much clutter in your home. When choosing a storage unit, you’d probably want to figure out what items and belongings you want to store so that you can choose one that is the proper size in order to fit everything without damaging it.

• Celestia Stratheimer

January 31, 2018 - 12:39 am

What got my attention the most was how you said self-storage facilities will benefit students the most because they won’t have to travel back to their hometown just to get the things that they require for the semester. I can agree with you on that one because I remember experiencing that kind of trouble myself when I was studying. Now that it’s my younger brother’s turn to study in college, I want to figure out a way to make living and studying easier for him, then I found this article. Thank you. I’ll talk to him about this before he leaves next month.

• Celestia Stratheimer

February 8, 2018 - 12:47 am

It sure was nice how you pointed out that one of the advantages of renting a storage unit was the idea that we can actually protect the sensitive items from wear and tear by keeping them away. I guess that will work well for me considering that I have more than just a few sensitive items that are always in danger of getting broken. Since I rarely ever use them anyway, it might be for the best that I just store them somewhere safe. Thank you for informing me.

• Earnest Watkins

February 14, 2018 - 8:53 am

You make a pretty good point how a storage facility can be helpful at keeping your business organized. I don’t own a business myself, but I can see why staying organized could be beneficial to the efficacy and efficiency of your business. It’s definitely something I wouldn’t mind considering getting in order to stay organized if I were a business owner.

• Tammy Houston

February 20, 2018 - 5:11 pm

What got my attention was the way you pointed out that having a self-storage unit will allow a person to protect their delicate items from wear and tear and from risks associated with constant moving. I think In will benefit from that idea because I am the type of person who loves moving her items from one place to another almost on a weekly basis. I actually ended up smashing an expensive vase once. I do not wish for that to happen again. I will store away a few of my unneeded items. Thank you for sharing.

• Todd Stauffer

February 27, 2018 - 12:10 pm

I like how you said that a storage unit can be helpful if you have office equipment that is just taking up space. Being able to do the same thing with a house seems like a helpful little tidbit. We’ll have to look into that to store some of our seasonal decoration instead of leaving it in the house.

• Khorae Olivier

February 27, 2018 - 12:41 pm

I like that you said that storage units can be useful for keeping office items in until they are needed to maximize workspace. My work is looking to move and the new space is a bit smaller, so we might need to store some things until we determine what we actually need. You did a great job of explaining how a good storage facility would be needed for keeping stationaries and important files and documents safe.

• Deb Pearl

March 13, 2018 - 9:08 am

I’m glad you mentioned that self-storage units can be useful for keeping office items till they are needed. I think that would be a good idea to store some of the things we don’t need out of the office. My coworkers and I have noticed that the place has become cluttered with things we don’t touch anymore. We will have to see if we can get a storage unit.

• Bethany Birchridge

March 15, 2018 - 11:57 am

I thought it was amazing that the average American spends about one year of his life looking for lost or misplaced items. Right after we moved, finding things took quite some time. I think it’s great that storage facilities can help families organize their memorabilia and spend less time searching for things.

• Derek Dewitt

April 5, 2018 - 9:26 am

My wife and I are thinking about using a storage unit while we move, so thanks for sharing this. I like your point about how your items are protected from wear and tear when moving. We’ll have to look into this more to see if there is a place that can hold out extra furniture for a bit.

• Jenna Hunter

April 9, 2018 - 5:49 pm

I like what you said about people spending a year looking for misplaced items. I think having things that you don’t use regularly in a storage unit would be really helpful to always know where things are and have easy access to them. I will have to look into some self-storage companies in my area and get my house more organized.

• Taylor Bishop

April 18, 2018 - 7:38 am

Thanks for explaining some benefits to self-storage units. I actually hadn’t considered that this is a good way to keep belongings together if you have time-restricted commitments, like keeping items together when you are leaving for a short period of time. It also sounds like a good option if you happen to move around often but don’t want to move everything with you.

• Elsa Anderson

April 18, 2018 - 9:03 am

I’m glad you talked about the benefits of using self storage units in keeping our places organized. My brother is currently finishing college in New Orleans, and I really helped when you said that it is a perfect way to keep loads of stuff while you’re based on a different location or state. I don’t want him to keep bringing all his stuff all the time when he comes back for the holidays, so I will suggest him to locate one online to save his time and energy. Thank you for these!

• Braden Bills

May 15, 2018 - 10:26 am

I need to have a bunch of stuff stored. It makes sense that getting a storage unit would be beneficial! I feel like that would make it way easier to get things stored.

• Vivian Black

May 21, 2018 - 8:14 am

After my grandmother’s passing, we suggested that my grandfather rent a storage unit for much of their stuff as he looked for a smaller home to rent. I appreciate that you highlighted the way we as humans keep our unnecessary items and valuables both in the same space, leaving us eating into our productive time by searching through our clutter to find the things we need. Storage units may very well be a solution to this problem. Thank you for the tips regarding storage units!

• Monica Chavez

May 22, 2018 - 6:54 pm

You make a great point that storage systems are helpful in keeping your items in a neat and systematic manner. My sister is moving to a new home next month, and she’s the most organized person I know. I’m sure she would really appreciate having a storage unit so that she can keep her things nice and organized in the midst of a hectic move. Thanks for sharing!

• Jocelyn McDonald

May 24, 2018 - 8:05 am

My husband and I are moving into a smaller apartment, and we aren’t sure where to put all of our extra personal belongings. Your article had some great information on the benefits of self storage, and I especially liked your point that a storage unit can save your time by making it so you don’t to dig through a pile of belongings when looking for something. Thanks for the helpful article, we’ll be sure to keep this in mind when looking for a storage space for our things.

• Millie Hue

May 30, 2018 - 12:38 am

I agree with you that self-storage units are really helpful due to their purpose of keeping the belongings of their clients in a space until further use. My daughter will be coming home this summer, and she plans to put her things in a unit since it is not allowed to leave anything in their dormitories. She doesn’t want the hassle of bringing home her belongings and taking them back to the dorm once the summer ends. Thanks!

• Marcia Luis

June 5, 2018 - 6:21 pm

I do like it when you said that storage units are good for students because that will mean that they won’t have to travel all the way back to their hometowns during holiday breaks carrying a lot of things. That is exactly the reason why I am asking my little brother to look for a storage facility in the city where he will be living. I do not like the idea that he will be traveling back home with a lot of things, and I am sure that neither will he. Thanks.

• Hazel Owens

June 6, 2018 - 10:18 pm

That’s interesting that the average American spends one year of their life looking for lost or misplace things. My house is pretty small and we have a lot of stuff so I’m always losing things and having to search for them. My husband and I should look into getting a storage unit so we can have a cleaner house and I won’t spend so much of my time looking for things.

• Hazel Owens

February 11, 2019 - 9:41 pm

That’s good to know that if you have a temporary job assignment that you can use a self storage service to put all your belongings. This way you can make sure that you can leave everything that you still want to keep but can’t bring with you in your move. I’ll have to tell my brother since he plans to travel a bit for jobs before he find a home so this way he can still keep all of his stuff instead of selling some of it.