When you think about your family and your home, you want them to be safe and always out of harm’s way. But the increasing crime rates across the country reflect the bitter reality.
Putting things into perspective, on average, a burglary occurs every 22.6 seconds in the United States.
Unfortunately, many people underestimate the need to take appropriate home security measures. When it comes to home break-ins, the financial loss may be recoverable, but the trauma inflicted may last for years to come.
What are Home Security Systems?
Marie Van Brittan Brown was a nurse with an electrician for a husband. Their professions involved them being away from home frequently while their two kids were alone at home.
To help keep her kids safe, Marie developed a system. She placed a camera outside her door connected to a television inside the house.
It allowed a person inside the home to see and hear the person outside the door. And thus, the first home security system was born.
Fifty years have passed since Marie came up with this system to protect her children, and yet the core purpose of security systems remains the same. They all use advancements in technology to ward off criminals and to catch them in the act should they decide to try and enter your home.
How to Choose the Right Security System
Understanding the different features of home security systems can help you make an informed decision when it comes to picking the right system for your home. Here are four important features to consider:
- Ease of Access– A typical system comes with a smartphone app to control it from anywhere.
- Better Protection– Modern security systems use a dedicated wireless connection to communicate. This connection stays separate from your other regular connections such as the Internet, a smart TV, phone and Wi-Fi.
- Awareness– Imagine that you are in a rush to leave for work and you forget to lock your garage. The home security system will alert you and let you lock it remotely via the app.
- Proactiveness– With the integration of other home devices like smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water sensors, your home security system can warn you about other home emergencies like a fire or even flooding caused by a cracked water pipe.
To help you understand your needs better, ask yourself a few questions:
- What am I protecting?
- How do I want to install my security system?
- How big is my home?
- What is my budget?
The answers to these questions can help you decide which exact security system best fits your needs.
What are the Top Choices in Home Security Systems?
The experts at Top10.com have compiled a competitive list of the top choices which you can check out. Here are a few of them:
1. ADT– A traditional name in Home Security, ADT manages to check all the boxes not only by working with the top professionals and security experts in Home Security.
2. Frontpoint– Flexible pricing plans means you can get precisely the kind of monitoring and equipment you need. A 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back policy makes Frontpoint a go-to solution for most.
3. Link Home Security– It comes with equipment and features such as high definition, full color, 1080p resolution cameras with infrared vision capabilities, 2-way communications, and affordable plans.
4. Protect Your Home– Professionally installed systems with monitoring centers that are manned 24 hours, 365 days. You can rest easy knowing that you are protected.
5. Brinks Home Security– J.D. Power ranked Brinks Home Security the highest in customer satisfaction with a score of 857.
It includes wireless systems with tamper protection, smartphone control, live video streaming, and full cloud video storage coupled with complete access to the suite of Google Nest Secure products.
6. Deep Sentinal– A two-way speaker and microphone accesses and intervenes without involving you. Boasting a 130-degree super-wide view camera with a wireless AI in the hub, Deep Sentinel can assess the situation, intervene, and get in touch with the police in less than 30 seconds.
7. LifeShield Home Security– It includes four layers of protection (high-speed internet, cellular signal, cellular text, and landline phone) and a 24-hour backup battery.
8. Alarm New England – Immediate response times, central monitoring stations, and trained professionals monitor the systems at all times. The equipment includes 4G dual-path connectivity, built-in glass break detector, and S-Line encryption.
9. Vivint– With features like 24/7 professional monitoring, continuous video recording, and real-time notifications, Vivint has some of the most sophisticated equipment and features in the market today.
10. Honeywell– A DIY system that is Alexa-enabled and includes a 1080p camera, face recognition, motion detection, along with paid cloud storage.
There’s No Price for Peace of Mind
Home protection is a major concern across the country, but homeowners can take measures to safeguard their homes.
By evaluating a home’s security and investing in a security system, homeowners can rest easy knowing that not only their homes and belongings but also the people they love are protected and secure.