If you have some extra cash laying around and would like to carry out some home improvements, there are many projects that you could undertake. Renovating the home adds significant value and if you are a DIY enthusiast, you can save a fortune on labour costs, while honing your skills and with that in mind, here are a few home improvement projects that would benefit you in more ways than one.
- Sliding Patio Doors – You could remove the dining room window and replace it with a sliding patio door with tinted glass. Once fitted, add Clearshield fly screens in Melbourne from an established supplier and you have the perfect entrance to your terrace. If you have the space, why not have a 4-pane sliding door system, with the two central units opening? A lintel across the top takes the load and the fly screens would be made to measure for a perfect fit. Bring your garden into your home by installing sliding doors that have top-rated security and toughened safety glass as standard. You could also add security screens that double as insect screens and with bespoke solutions, you have the perfect installation.
- Loft Conversion – If you have a pitched roof, that’s an awful lot of wasted space at the top and by transforming it into a room, you are increasing your living space and the value of the property will rise. If you are a DIY enthusiast with a few years of hands-on experience, you could tackle this project, which involves creating a chipboard floor, cladding the walls and inner roof surface and adding a couple of skylights for natural light an essential ventilation. Failing that, your local builder would be happy to quote for the conversion and you can use the room as a man-cave or a study area for the kids. An extra bedroom would come in handy when you have visitors from far away, while it can be used for other things too. If you would like a few more reasons why home improvements make sense, click here.
- Solar Power – We are all ready to make the switch from fossil-fuel burning power stations to the clean and renewable energy from the Sun. You’ll be pleased to learn that the Australian government offers homeowners financial incentives to turn to solar energy and if you would like to learn more about the investment and savings, search with Google for solar panel suppliers in your area. You have options with solar energy; you could install a system that supplies more power than you need and sell the excess to the national grid, or you could use partial solar power while still hooked up to the grid, which is very popular in urban environments. In short, you will be energy independent and no longer at the mercy of the giant energy corporations that like to hike their prices.
- Replacement Windows & Doors – If your wooden windows have seen better days, you could have uPVC double glazed windows custom made and fitted, which boost security and offers optimal thermal and sound insulation; your climate control system won’t have to work overtime and some homeowners report energy savings of up to 30% after installing double glazing. If you would like to browse the many styles of windows and doors, Google is your best friend and a local company would be only too happy to pop round and discuss the many options and offer an all-inclusive quote. Timber-grain uPVC looks stunning on a country style property, or white Georgian with leaded light windows, and there are no maintenance issues with a composite material like uPVC.
- Electric Gates – A major feature of a property would be electric sliding gates and the supplier can create a design that works with the overall character of the property. Make an enquiry with a custom gate contractor and he will show you some stunning examples of what can be done with automatic gating. Home security is on everyone’s mind in these uncertain times and with electric gating, you are sending out the right message. You can have a camera on the outside and an intercom to talk with visitors before giving access and a side gate for pedestrians. Bespoke solutions ensure the gates blend with the surroundings and you have a choice of opening styles and can even have the motor installed below ground level.
If you are still at home due to the pandemic, this is the perfect time to invest in improving the home and this will elevate comfort levels, which makes the lockdowns much easier. There’s no better way to start 2021 than a home improvement and hopefully, this is the year we can say goodbye to the pandemic and get back to some kind of normality.