Have a new or growing business but are unsure how to take the leap to the next level? A small business or startup grant can help. Read on below to learn more.
About Grants Assist
Across Australia, Grants Assist has helped dozens of companies, startups, and small business concerns win federal grants worth almost $2 million. We’ve helped clients working in digital production, tourism services, consumer goods, education, engineering, marketing, consulting, and more. We aim to help you secure the funding you need to expand your business, overcome operational challenges, or lower costs – whatever your business challenge is, we can help you secure the funds needed to overcome it.
The Benefits of Grants
The benefits of grants are widely recognized. Firstly, most grants do not need to be repaid, so winning a grant delivers a double-edged benefit: you not only receive free money, but when you use it to lower costs or improve revenues or address other business issues, you reap those benefits over the long run as well.
Secondly, researching and applying for grants will give you a lot of insight into industry news and developments – who’s working on projects similar to yours, what opportunities exist for improvement, and what the competition is doing.
Thirdly, winning one grant can lead to a waterfall effect in which you improve your chances of winning subsequent grants. As long as you meet the criteria for a given grant and need funds for a new project, if you’ve won a grant in the past, you likely have a decent shot at winning another available grant.
Finally, grants can lend your business or startup credibility. The grant vetting process is thorough and comprehensive. You must prove your eligibility to many different people at different levels. This gives you exposure right out the gate. However, winning a grant also gives you a seal of approval from the government. This is a powerful signal to customers, clients, and other investors. If the government believes your idea or initiative is worth funding, that will attract others as well.
There are many different grants available, and for most grants, the eligibility criteria are as follows:
- You must have an ABN – an Australian Business Number
- You must own or operate an existing micro or small business (defined as having less than 5 people or less than 20 people, respectively)
- You must be based in the city or province for which the relevant grant is offered
- You must have all of the required licenses, insurance coverages, and operational or legal permits to run your business
These requirements are pretty basic. However, depending on the type of grant you wish to pursue, there may be additional requirements you must satisfy before applying.
For example, an export grant for female entrepreneurs adds the following conditions for eligibility:
- The business must have a minimum of three years of exporting experience
- The business must be providing a product or service that is exported from the home state to another state
- The business must have the potential to grow revenue
- The applicant/recipient of the grant must be a female leader of the company
Grants can vary in value (from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars) and they are available for a wide range of business and operational needs. We discuss examples in the next section, but the key takeaway here is that that there is a lot of information that must be processed before and while you apply for a grant. This includes eligibility information, what kinds of proof and documentation are needed, deadlines by which you must apply, and other relevant details that can make or break your case. A grants consultant at Grants Assist can walk you through what you need to know about available grants, how to apply, and what to expect along the way.
Examples of Available Grants
Grants vary by state, city, and industry. Small business grants are popular with many applicants. Here are a few examples of small business grants:
- Export grants to explore emerging markets
- Skilled worker grants to help companies hire the best talent
- Early childcare grants to provide important childcare services where they are unavailable
- Renewable energy grants that aim to reduce carbon emissions and increase the usage of renewable energy
- Retail grants to help consumer goods and services companies overcome the challenges of competing online or globally
- Innovation/R&D grants to help hire researchers and conduct research in areas of interest
- Healthcare grants to promote skills, knowledge, and expertise in the healthcare space
In addition to the above, Grants Assist can help you find and apply for grants in hospitality, manufacturing, consulting, training, transportation, mining, professional services, and more. We can even help with securing relocation, hiring, or training funding to help your business or startup overcome the pains of taking your business to the next level.Visit us at https://australiangrants.org/ to learn more or call 1300-005-999 directly to speak with a specialist who will walk you through everything you need to know about applying.