If you look at a graph showing technologic development for the past 100 years, you will see a sharp spike that started in the 1960s and has never really stopped until today. The arrival of the Internet saw digital tech blooming and in the past 10 years, the virtual world has become an integral aspect of online communication. The arrival of Covid saw a rise in the number of businesses that began to offer virtual services, indeed, there are many services you can receive via a Zoom call, with the healthcare sector leading the way.
The list of virtual services is indeed long and includes:
- Healthcare – Doctors and counsellors offer virtual examinations, which is often enough for the medical professional to make an accurate diagnosis. Mental health counsellors and addiction support groups all meet virtually during the pandemic and remote healthcare is an essential aspect at the current time. Elderly people who do not require daily care can interact with their care-giver via a Zoom call at the end of the day, so the carer can assess the patient’s overall condition.
- Resorts & Hotels – When you visit a website such as https://www.fairmont-maldives.com/, you can enjoy a virtual tour of the tiny island on which the bungalows are situated and more and more resorts are using virtual tour technology on their website, which really does allow the guest to experience the venue in a virtual sense. The Maldives is an ideal place to go after the pandemic, but book early to avoid disappointment, as this is a very popular holiday destination.
- Fitness, Yoga & Pilates – Due to the current pandemic, you can register for a virtual course, where you use Zoom to interact with the instructor and the other students. As the instructor is remotely located, you only need some space, a laptop and a stable Internet connection, plus online courses are cheaper, as the provider has minimal outgoings for a Virtual session. You can even hire a virtual personal trainer, who will call you via Zoom at the agreed time and they will guide you through your workout routine. Here are a few ways that video can boost your business, if you run your own company.
- Legal Services – Many law firms now offer virtual consultations and with a video call and file sharing, it is possible to conclude legal transactions and receive professional advice, which we often require in a business situation. You can set up a company or file for divorce with virtual online legal services and even write a Last Will & Testament via a Zoom call.
- Consultancy – Consultants in many sectors have switched to virtual communication, which allows the professional to advise accordingly, with regular video conference calls, as opposed to face-to-face meetings. Business advisory services are working as normal, scheduling Zoom calls with their clients, indeed, many are working from home, due to the Covid crisis. Boat builders and designers have video calls with the client, when they show them models they have created and thanks to VoIP solutions, the client can be on the other side of the world.
- Real Estate – If you are search online for a suitable property, it is likely you can take an online virtual tour of the house, both inside and out. This is a great way to create a shortlist of properties to physically view and most real estate agents offer virtual tour facilities on their website. This is done using a very expensive video camera and a skilled operator who walks through the property, filming from many different angles, then state of the art software collects all the footage and allows a remote user to virtually explore the property.
- Working Remotely – There are many people who are now working from home, thanks to the pandemic and they receive their assignments in an email and would likely have to have at least one Zoom call a day with their boss. Teachers are mainly teaching from home, with all their students also at their homes, eliminating all human contact, which is the best way to school the children until the pandemic is over.
- Online Sales – Using Facebook Live, it is easy to lay out many household items, with price labels and when you make a sale, the customer wires you the money and you ship the goods, it’s as simple as that. There are some very successful Facebook Live sellers, with products such as kids clothing, collector’s items and general household appliances and rather than risk going to a local community sale, you can search out bargains online from sellers who use livestreaming.
As we move into 2021, virtual technology will continue to aid us in the fight against the pandemic and many people will still use virtual online services, even when the pandemic is over.