Are you thinking about starting your own plumbing business? Perhaps you already have a plumbing company and you’re looking for different ways to move forward? One of the best things you can do in any line of business is to learn from the errors that others have made, rather than making them yourself. With that being said, continue reading to discover more about five things that plumbers typically do wrong.
1. Not marketing their business effectively – There is only one place to begin, and this is with plumber marketing. The importance of having a dominant online presence in the current day and age cannot be ignored. If someone needs a plumber today, they are usually going to search online for someone in their area. You need to make sure that you appear prominently in these searches in order to secure their business. This requires an expert local plumber SEO and digital marketing strategy. If you have ever searched for a service in a specific area on Google, you will notice that Google presents three suggestions that come with an address, telephone number, and website link. You really need to feature in these spots, which is why optimising your Google My Business profile is a must. You also need to ensure your contact details are consistent across all branding. Aside from this, your website needs to offer a good user experience and you need to craft interesting and engaging content that is going to show your business as an expert in the industry.
2. Too much overhead – Another common problem for a lot of plumbers is that their overhead is too high. Every so often, it is a good idea to assess your finances and determine whether there are any ways that you can reduce your expenditure without lowering the quality you provide. For example, would it be possible to run your plumbing business from home, rather than renting out an office for all of the paperwork and admin side of things? Every business is different. It is going to depend on the size and nature of your plumbing business, as well as the people you employ. Nevertheless, it is worth exploring all of the avenues that are available to you. Call up your suppliers to see if you can go on a lower tariff. You will be surprised where savings can be found.
3. Inefficient invoicing – In addition to the issues that have already been mentioned, a lot of plumbers also experience cash flow problems and this stems from ineffective payment terms and invoicing. You need to make sure that customers receive a bill as soon as the job is complete. Payment terms must be evident and easy to understand. Of course, if you only do small plumbing jobs at people’s homes then you’ll probably get paid then and there. However, if you do repeat work for businesses, you may need to wait for payment.
4. Copying the competition – While there is no harm in using the competition for inspiration, one thing you should never do is purely copy them. One of the biggest issues a lot of plumbers face is the fact that they have not differentiated their business. They do not stand out from the other plumbing companies in the area. From having a specific niche to creating a unique logo; there are many ways you can make sure that your plumbing business is different and is, therefore, memorable.
5. Ineffective use of social media – Last but not least, social media presents a great opportunity for plumbing businesses. It enables you to give your brand a voice and to show off your personality. You can connect with customers and build loyal relationships too. However, this is only going to be the case if you use social media effectively. Do research to find out what channels your consumer base uses and focus on these. Moreover, remember that social media is all about engagement. You are never going to create a dedicated following if all you do is post an endless array of promotional messages.
As you can see, there are a number of different things that plumbers tend to get wrong today. From ineffective social media use to getting invoicing wrong; if you make any of these errors right now, there is no need to panic. You simply need to make some changes. If you can rectify and avoid the five errors that have been discussed in this blog post, you can give yourself the best chance of achieving success in this profession. Good luck!